Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment. Mostly nitrous oxide relaxes the patient and raises their pain threshold resulting in a relaxed pleasant dental experience. Nitrous oxide also has the benefit of dilating blood vessels so that your body and brain actually get more oxygen than they would without the nitrous.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
- The effects of nitrous oxide are gone withing 2 to 3 minutes of breathing regular air. We always administer pure oxygen to patients for 10 minutes at the end of using nitrous oxide to be sure the patients is alert and feeling well.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if you are pregnant or believe you may be pregnant.. Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
You may want to ask your dentist for a “5 minute trial” to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.
Click To Call!
Gherardi & Moore PA Phone Number 505-293-6125 Schedule Your
Our office hours are from Monday through Thursday 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM and Friday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM