A dental crown is a cap that fits over a tooth. A crown can be used to repair a damaged tooth and improve its appearance. Crowns can also be used to cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth and are often called “caps.”
Dental crown types
Dental crowns are fabricated from a variety of different materials such as metal, porcelain/ceramic, resin, or a combination. Your dentist will help you determine the type of crown that is best for your situation.
Metal crowns are often a good choice for back teeth or teeth that endure a lot of force. They can also be a good choice for younger patients whose mouth is still growing. Metal crowns can be less expensive than other forms of crowns.
Advantages of a dental crown
- A dental crown covers the entire tooth, including parts of a damaged tooth that are visible when you smile or talk.
- Your dentist may recommend a dental crown if you have a tooth that is chipped or cracked.
- The crown covers the tooth so that it is not damaged further while also restoring the tooth to its normal size and shape.
- It can be custom-fabricated to mimic the color, texture, size, and overall appearance of your natural teeth.
When is a crown suggested?
Dental crowns are used for a range of reasons, including:
- Strengthening a tooth that has suffered from damage or decay.
- Covering up a stained or discolored tooth.
- Covering up a dental implant.
- Protecting a tooth after root canal treatment.
- Giving the appearance of a straighter smile.
Dental crown maintenance
Your dental crown should be maintained just like your natural teeth. You will need to maintain good dental hygiene to keep your crown beautiful and functional. Be sure to brush twice a day, floss once a day, and visit your dentist regularly. Avoiding biting hard objects and sticky foods is crucial to ensure the crown lasts for a long duration.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Gerard and Moore Dental, call (505)-293-6125 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist in Albuquerque, NM at 8310 Palomas Ave NE Suite A, Albuquerque, NM 87109.