A denture is a removable, artificial set of teeth that are designed to replace all or some of the natural teeth. Dentures are custom-made to fit each person’s mouth. They usually require multiple fittings and adjustments before they fit perfectly. Dentures can help people improve their facial appearance and give them more confidence when smiling, speaking, and chewing.
Benefits of dentures
- Dentures can restore your confidence.
- Dentures can improve your appearance and allow you to eat and speak as if you had natural teeth.
- Dentures also support your facial structures, which makes your face look younger and healthier.
- Dentures can improve your health.
- Since they keep your natural teeth from shifting, dentures can decrease your risk of periodontal disease.
- This can improve your overall oral health and decrease your risk of other health conditions such as heart disease.
Types of dentures
Complete dentures replace all of the teeth on the upper and lower jaws. Partial dentures replace only some of the teeth.
- Complete dentures are for patients who are missing all of their teeth. They are made of an acrylic base that mimics the gums and artificial teeth. Complete dentures can be secured with dental implants or adhesive.
- Partial dentures are for patients who are only missing some of their teeth. They are made of an acrylic base that mimics the gums and artificial teeth. Partial dentures use clasps to secure the remaining teeth.
If you are missing several teeth, an implant-supported denture might be the best option for restoring your beautiful smile. Traditional dentures are a good option for replacing most or all of your teeth, but an implant-supported denture gives you more stability and support.
With a traditional denture, the appliance rests on the gums. An implant-supported denture is held in place by implants, which are surgically inserted into your jawbone. This makes them more secure, and you won’t have to worry about your dentures slipping out of place.
Implant-supported dentures are a good option for anyone who has lost all or most of their teeth, but an implant-supported denture has more benefits. This restoration is more stable and supported, which makes it easier for you to speak and eat. Implant-supported dentures are also more comfortable than traditional dentures because they are held in place with implants that function like tooth roots.
Dentures vs. Bridges
Dental implants and bridges both replace missing teeth, but each offers different benefits. Dental bridges are a great choice for patients that need to replace only one or two teeth. However, since bridges are permanently cemented in place, they do not stimulate jaw bone growth in the surrounding teeth. Dental implants are a better option for patients that need to replace many or all of the teeth in their smile.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Gherardi and Moore Dental, call (505)-293-6125 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist in Albuquerque, NM at 8310 Palomas Ave NE Suite A, Albuquerque, NM 87109.